Search my Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chocolate Mooncake

This is my first attempt trying to make my own mooncake. However, I wasn't ready to try the traditional mooncake as I had no time to prepare for golden syrup which is the basic ingredient. From what I read, the longer the golden syrup is kept the better it tastes and it can be prepared up to a year in advance to mature. Alternatively, you can buy the ready made golden syrup but I feel that is killing my excitement a bit. I solved the problem of not having to make the golden syrup by making this simple Chocolate Mooncake instead. It tastes good to me & my second son loves it so much & requested me to make this again. I think my mooncake skin is a bit thicker than the typical mooncake but who cares, the skin tastes good & no harm having it a bit more than usual. The mooncake skin is a bit crispy on the day it is baked and therefore is recommended to keep the mooncakes two to three days in room temperature to soften the skin. In my case, that did not happen as everyone is so eager to try out right away and none left to be matured.

Oh dear, didn't realise I've been babbling so much... here is the recipe.

Source: Yochana (with compliment)
(Makes 9)
INGREDIENTS:
25g Butter
50g Icing Sugar
1 Egg - beaten
1 tbsp Fresh Milk
1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
30g Chocolate - melted
120g Cake Flour* (Homekreation: I used plain flour)
15g Cocoa Powder*
1/8 tsp Bic Soda*
(* sifted together)
Ready-made Filling (Lotus/Mung bean paste)

METHOD:
1. Mix butter, icing sugar till well mixed. 
Add in beaten egg , mix thoroughly then add in fresh milk and mix again.
Add in vanilla essence and melted chocolate.
Add in flour mixture and mix till it becomes a dough. 
If the mixture is too soft, put into the fridge to let it harden a little.
 
2. Weigh dough about 30g & filling about 40g.
Wrap filling into the skin & press into a mooncake mould.

3. Bake at 180C for about 20 mins or till cooked.


Photo of unbaked mooncake:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)