Search my Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pau

On family's request I made pau for evening tea just now with two types of filling - red bean and mung bean filling. I was curious to try out a different recipe so I gave a try the one I saw in Mamafami's house. The texture was marvelous except the colour was so yellow. I think it could due to the flour & shortening that I used. Sorry, the photo above is censored to be in black & white as not to discredit this marvelous recipe....hehe!
Source: Mamafami (original by MR_Ian-ieza) - thanks to both of you. Recipe below is simplified and change method from BM to machine kneading, the way I made mine. I was too lazy to unpack my BM from the store room.

(Makes 20)
INGREDIENTS:
160g Lukewarm Water
73g Sugar
11g Instant Yeast
306g Superfine flour
(HomeKreation: I used pau flour) 
1/2 tsp Bic Soda
1/2
tsp Bread softener (HomeKreation: I used pau softener)
1/2 tsp Cooking Oil
20g Veg Shortening


METHOD:
1. Place all ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook.
Process until dough is smooth.
Cover & rest for 30-40 minutes until doubled.

2. Punch down & divide into 20 pieces.
Flatten one piece of the dough & wrap a ball of preferred filling.
Place it on a piece of banana leaf or paper.

3. Steam paus above a medium heat for 12 minutes.
....enjoy hot, warm or cool....wallaaaah!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's the bicarb that's making it yellow.
    Try not to use that next time.
    I use Double Action Baking Powder everytime. That's the one for making paus, not soda bicarbs.

    Alkalis cause starches to turn to a yellow hue (just like our Chinese ketupat), which is why some people add a small glass of vinegar next to the paus when steaming so that a whiter pau can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    Thanks so much for the explanation which makes sense. Indeed I was curious to try this version becoz I didn't find other recipe using bic soda. I had another version which uses vinegar & it was white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kak, some said the types of flour can cause the color. if using all-purpose flour, the color is yellowish but if using pau flour, the result is whitish. for example blue key pau flour, if possible buy hong kong flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kak, why using bread softener? some didn't include.. is it because bread softener will give the steaming pau soft after steaming although keep at room temperature for hours? i really want a technique or tips for softer pau after steaming... thanks

    ReplyDelete

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)