Search my Blog

Monday, July 28, 2008

Sweet Potato Curry Puffs


Unfried curry puff:
I saw fresh sweet potato just arrived at the market and straight away thinking about curry puffs. I tried curry puff pastry from Aunty Yochana and the result is marvellous crispy pastry. The filling is my own recipe with just simple sweet potato & dried shrimps.

I have reduced the measurements proportionately from the original's:

INGREDIENTS (produced 30 pieces):
Pastry:
400g Plain Flour
80g Rice Flour
70g Tapioca Flour
160g Butter or Margarine (I used 50/50 mixed)
1 tsp Salt (not in the original recipe)
200-230ml Water

Filling:
600g Sweet Potato - peel skin & cubed
3 tbsp Oil
cloves Garlic*
4 Shallots* (* pounded)
4 sprigs Curry leaves
3 tbsp Fish Curry Powder
70g Dried shrimp
- chopped

1 Big Onion - chopped
3 Spring Onion & Chinese Celery - chopped
Salt

METHOD:
1. Prepare filling.
Heat up oil in a pot.
Fry pounded ingredients and curry leaves until fragrant.
Add in curry powder & stir very quickly and add in few tbsp of water to prevent burning.
Add in dried shrimps & stir for a while.
Add in potato & salt.
Cover until sweet potato is cooked.
Add in chopped big onion, spring onion and celery.
Cool.

2. Prepare pastry.
Rub butter into flour mixture and salt.
Add water gradually until dough is formed.
Rest dough for 20 minutes.

3. Divide dough into 30 pieces.
Roll one piece flat round shape & place a tbsp filling.
Fold into half & seal the opening with pleat.
Deep fried with medium flame until golden.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I enjoy your site. Can this be baked rather than deep fried?

    Thanks, JoJo from Edmonton, AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jojo, I'm glad that you enjoy my site & I hope it is useful. I have not tried baking this recipe but do not think it is suitable for baking given substantial amount of water used will make it hard when baked. Usually baked pastry used large proportion of fats and 1-2 tbsp water only in order to produce flaky pastry. I personally prefer the fried type of curry puffs as it gives lighter taste of fats compared to the baked ones (provided you toss the oil properly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the prompt reply, I guess I will try to deep fried it instead. I wish you a very Happy New Year and hope to see more of your receipe in the future.

    Jojo, Edm. AB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jojo, you are welcome. Happy New Year to you too. I wish this year I will have more balance life so that I could continue sharing through this blog. TQ for your support.

    ReplyDelete

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)