Search my Blog

Monday, September 1, 2008

Peanuts & Ikan Bilis Sambal


This is a must do menu in every Ramadhan. My children reminded me a week before the start of this fasting month on the request. They love to eat this with white rice particularly during Sahur. My mother used to make this for me during my study time. She express mailed to UK during my exam time because she worried I had no time to cook and could miss meals. She continued mailing this to me even after I got married when my kids were small. Now my children are grown up and she need not worry about me anymore especially because I can make it as good as hers. Even without saying, my mother's cooking is still the best.

This can last several weeks if kept in an airtight container.

INGREDIENTS:
250g Ikan Bilis (local anchovies)
250g Peanuts
1/2 cup Oil
1 cup Chilli Paste
10 Shallots*
1 tbsp Belachan* (* pounded)
1 tsp Tamarind - add water to squeeze juice
2 tsp Sugar
Salt & MSG to taste

METHOD:
1. Deep fry Peanuts until crispy. Put aside.
Deep fry Ikan Bilis until crispy. Put aside.

2. Heat up oil & fry chilli paste & pounded ingredients until fragrant.
Add in tamarind juice, salt, sugar & MSG.
Cook until sambal is dry.
Add in fried Ikan Bilis & peanut & mix well.

3. Cool and store in an air-tight container to ensure peanut & Ikan Bilis remain crispy.
Can be served with white rice or bread.

1 comment:

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)