Search my Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Daging Rendang Kunyit (Beef Rendang)

Today's menu is Nasi Lemak served with Beef Rendang, Roast Chicken & vegetables. I tried to come home little earlier than usual since making rendang & roast chicken are time consuming but unfortunately we had a black-out. Imagine without electricity, everything are manual.... pounding the rendang ingredients in stone mortar, cooking Nasi Lemak on a stove instead of using rice cooker.... but how about roast chicken without an oven? Fortunately, the electricity was backed 1/2 hour before Iftar time & was ready 10 minutes late after breaking-off fast.

So here is my delicious rendang recipe....

Source: HomeKreation (my Emak's recipe)
INGREDIENTS:
500g Beef - sliced 
15 Shallots*
2 cloves Garlic*
1.5" Ginger*
1" Galangal*  (* blended)
1 bowl Chili Paste
1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
1 bowl Thick Coconut Milk
2 Turmeric leaves - sliced finely
1 tsp Sugar & Salt

METHOD:
1.  Method 1: Place all ingredients in a wok & stir until thick.

2. Method 2 (the one I used today, which is a faster method): Pressure cook the beef until tender.
Heat up some oil & fry the remaining ingredients, except coconut milk, until fragrant.
Add in coconut milk & cook until thick.
Add in beef & cook until thick to the preferred consistency.

4 comments:

  1. Your today menu really makes me hungry. Looks delicious. I can eat a big plate with only rendang gravy and nasi lemak :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah...one of my fav malay food!! Too bad my father forbids me to eat beef, but I tried it a few times before and love it! ...and rendang of other meats taste so different. (But I try not to take beef unless I have no choice...e.g: when there's no other dishes at the cantin to choose)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rendang looks delicious. How do you make the chili paste

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    I used dried chilies. Cut & soaked dried chilies in hot water or just boil it in a wok. Then blend it with some water until fine. Ready to be used and keep leftover in an air tight container & refrigerate (can last for a week).

    ReplyDelete

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)