Sunday, April 11, 2010
The recipe calls for condensed milk but in Malaysia you can only find sweetened creamer. Since I was so excited about it I gambled with two cans of sweetened creamer hoping something good to come out. I thought one can is a waste of three hours gas burning so might as well gave it a try for two cans straight away. It turned out okay with golden colour but not as creamy as the one uses condensed milk. Taste wise was also ok but I imagined it will be tastier with real milk.
If you want to know what I will do with it, just watch out for my next posting.
Source (with compliments): Wendy (refer there for more detail info)
HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE:
1. Place overturned a small wire rack at the bottom of a pot.
2. Peel off the paper wrapper around the can of condensed milk & place the can/cans on the rack.
3. Fill the pot with water until the cans are covered with water. Make sure the pot is tall enough so that water level is not more than 2/3rd of the pot depth.
4. Cover & boil. Lower the heat to the lowest possible & let it simmer for 3-4 hours.
The longer you cook it the darker the color will be. Refill water if necessary but I did not have to because the water remains above the can until the end.
5. Cool completely before opening the can. Opening it while still hot may cause burning on your skin.
Warning: Do not leave the cooking unattended. Cooking above big fire can cause the water to dry up and risk of the can exploding (that's what I learnt from reading other's experience)
See the type of pot I used which is a semi-pressure pot. The method above uses ordinary pot but I thought the pot below will be good to avoid too much steam escaping and I was right.