I made the Lattice Apple Pie for Cik Ja's potluck last Friday. Also made one small mini one for my two boys at home or else they will definitely complain (anyway they still complaint that it was too little)...
The recipe is adopted from cooking demo by Madam Tay organised by SWAN. I modified the pastry recipe a bit as I found them a bit soggy from the tasting sample. The result is crumbly & melt-in-the-mouth pastry. My tip to all --> do not overhandle the dough & no kneading necessary or else you end up with tough/soggy pastry.
Below is step-by-step preparation:
1. Lined tin with rolled pastry
2. Grated apples
3. Filled case with filling
4. Slice pastry for the lattice topping
5. Completed topping on the pie
6. Glazed pie, ready to be baked
1kg Apples (about 9 apples) - peeled & grated
2 tbsp Cinnamon Powder (I used 1 tbsp only)
4 tbsp Custard Powder
100g Castor Sugar
250g Salted Butter
Few tbsp Ice Water
1 Egg Yolk
1. Mix all ingredients, except marmalade,& rest for half hour.
2. Prepare pastry by mixing all ingredients until crumbly.
Divide into two portions.
Line greased pie tin with one portion & prick with fork.
Bake 10 min at 170C.
Roll the other portion & slice into strips.
3. Fill case with apple mixture.
Top with dough strips (see picture above).
Drop marmalde into the opening between the strips.
Glaze with beaten egg.
Bake 180C for 30 minutes.
1 hour ago